Water Management in potato Crop
Advisory ArticleAgroStar Agronomy Centre of Excellence
Water Management in potato Crop
• Total water need of this crop is 50 to 60 cm.s depending on the quality of the soil. • The varieties of short duration require less water and varieties of long duration require more water. When there 60% moisture of the crop’s requirement in the soil, water the crop. • Water should be supplied during the sensitive stages of crop i.e. sapling stage, stelonization, tuber bulking stage. • First water should be light and should be given after 4 to 7 days of plantation. • Water should be given when the potatoes start growing. In medium soil, 12 rounds of water should be given at the interval of 7 days.
• Ridge-furrow method or sprinkler irrigation method should be used for watering. The roots of potato go deep in the soil maximum up to 60 cms. They absorb almost 70% of water from the upper layer of 30 cms. Remaining 30% water is absorbed from the lower layers. Agrostar Agronomy Center Excellence,12th December 18.
Other articles