Advisory ArticleAgroStar Agronomy Centre of Excellence
Use pandol system for the cultivation of Cucurbit family vegetable crops
If the vines of cucurbit family vegetable crops are trained and supported in a proper way the crop grows well and the yield is also of better quality.
Method to train and support the vines -
• The plants show up 10 to 15 days after seeds are drilled.
• After germination keep one vigorously grown plant and remove the remaining ones.
• Set up sticks of 1 foot height near the vines. Tie twines to the sticks. These twines should be tied to the horizontal wires which are present just above the plants.
• Pull the vines from the twine from time to time. This will avoid falling down of vines due to wind.
• For good growth of main vine, side shoots need to be cut. After the vine comes one foot below the wire, stop cutting side shoots. After that spread them on the pandol wire at 3 to 4 feet.
Benefits of erecting pandol -
• When vine of the cucurbit family vegetable is supported, it grows well. The vines remain good from 6 to 7 months. If on the ground, they remain good only for 3 months.
• The leaves and fruits of cucurbit family vegetable crops do not come in contact with the soil. As there is good ventilation the possibility of rot, pest and diseases is less.
• The spraying can also be done properly. The cucurbit family vegetable crops grow properly and the colour and quality of the fruits is also maintained.
• The picking and hand weeding of the crop can also be done easily.
• Between the two rows of the crops, an inter crop of small duration i.e. 1 to 2 months can be cultivated.
AgroStar Agronomy Centre of Excellence