Guru GyaanAgroStar Agronomy Centre of Excellence
Prepare Tulsi /methyl eugenol traps yourself and manage the fruit fly in Guava
You are well aware about the damage caused by fruit fly in Guava. Fruit fly not only reduce the production but also deteriorate the quality. Clean cultivation, collection & destruction of fallen fruits, frequent inter culturing and installation of methyl eugenol ply weed blocks (2” x 2”) traps available in the market @ 16 per hectare at an equal distance on the trees are the major control measures. However, it is easy to prepare these kinds of traps at home with marginal cost.
Method for the preparation of traps -
• Prepare a solution by taking methyl eugenol 20 ml, DDVP 76 EC 2 to 3 drops and one liter of water. Collect a piece of sponge and dip into the solution. Keep the treated sponge in plastic jar having 2.5 cm diameter circular cut on both side. The trap is ready.
• Install such 16 traps per hectare above 1.5 m from the ground on tree.
• Instead of methyl eugenol, extract of black tulsi leaves (500 g black tulsi leave) can also be utilize.
• Collect & discard the catches of fruit fly every 2 to 3 days and recharge the sponge.
• In addition, raise black tulsi plants around the orchard and spray dichlorvos 76 EC 10 ml per 10 liter of water periodically on them.
Also spray poison baits (jaggary or molasses 400 g + quinalphos 25 EC 20 ml + 10 liter of water) on bunds and also on trees 2-3 times at 15 days interval from marble sized fruit stage.
Dr. T. M. Bharpoda,
Ex. Professor of Entomology,
B. A. College of Agriculture, Anand Agricultural University, Anand- 388 110 (Gujarat India)