Advisory ArticleAgroStar Agronomy Centre of Excellence
Measures for Papaya Harvest and Storage
After 10 - 12 months of planting, papaya is prepared for harvesting. The maturity sign can be detected by following characteristics:
• The fruit turns yellow when it ripens.
• Sticky gum is discharged; it can be assumed that papaya is ready for harvest.
• The area around the fruit stem turns yellow.
• The fruit should be harvested together with the stem. Fully mature or ripe fruit should be sent to the local market to be sold.
• After harvesting, the fruit should be graded according to its size.
• Clean the fruit and wrap it with paper and cover the basket with branches or hay. This basket does not contain more than 8 to 10 fruits._x000D_
• First three years witness maximum production and post that there is a decline and does not offer much profit_x000D_
Storage: Papaya can best be stored at 20º C, which leads to better maturation, but fruits can be affected by fungal infection in case of high temperatures.
Reference - Agrostar Agronomy Center Excellence