Guru GyaanAgroStar Agronomy Centre of Excellence
Management tomato fruit borer
• Tomato is cultivated by a large number of farmers as vegetable crop
• Fruit borer is world famous pest infesting this crop. If utmost attention has not been given, the crop may vanish and farmer suffers huge losses.
• Tomato growers are spraying with 90% round only for this pest control.
• This green coloured larva can damage more than one fruit in its life.
• Marigold should be raised in and around the field as a trap crop.
• Before spraying any kinds of insecticides, collect & destroy bigger larvae (hand picking).
• On initiation of the pest, spray HaNPV, a biopesticide.
• Under organic cultivation, one can install pheromone traps @ 40/ ha.
• The same farmers are also advice to spray Bouveria bassiana, a fungus base biopesticide @ 40 g per 10 lit of water.
• One can also spray Bacillus thuringiensis, a bacterial base powder @ 750 g/ ha.
• Even after following above control measures, the pest showed increasing trend than to spray indoxacarb 15.8 EC @ 10 ml or chlorantraniliprole 18.5 SC @ 3 ml or cyantraniliprole 10.26 OD @ 10 ml or flubendiamide 20 WG @ 5 g or novaluron 10 EC @ 10 ml or novaluron 5.25% + indoxacarb 4.5% SC @ 10 ml or chlorantraniliprole 8.8% + thiamethoxam 17.5% SC @ 10 ml per 10 lit of water.
• Looking to the insecticidal residues in fruits, maintain recommended days between spray and picking (waiting period).
• Separate out the infested fruit from the harvested lot and destroy them.