Guru GyaanAgroStar Agronomy Centre of Excellence
Management of white grub in groundnut
• The infestation of white grub is generally more in sandy or sandy loam soil.
• The white coloured larvae feed on root system of the plant. As a result, plant slowly wither and dry off.
• The grub feed on one plant and move forward to another in the same row. Large number of gap-patches appear in the field.
• On an average, 70-80 per cent crop loss is observed due to this pest.
• These grubs also cause damage to the developing pods at the later stage. At this time, plants are not withered but turn yellow.
• Trees around the field should be pruned every year.
• The infestation remains low in the fields in which ploughing is practised during summer.
• Spray quinalphos 25 EC @ 20 ml per 10 lit of water on the trees present around the field.
• After first heavy monsoon rain, the adults of white grubs come out from the soil and feed on babul, ber, drumstick, neem etc. trees. Shake the branches, so that insects drop, collect and destroy them.
• Install pheromone (Anisole), methoxy benzene traps. Put 4-5 drops of the same on pieces of sponge and hang them out on the tree. The adults attract to them.
• Install one light trap in the field and destroy the attracted insects.
• Arrange at least 5 fire stations in infested area. The adults get attracted to them and then killed.
• For seed treatment mix chlorpyriphos 20 EC @ 20 ml per kg of seed before sowing, with this infestation remains under control.
• Apply Beauveria bassiana or Metarhizium anisopliae, fungus base powder @ 5 kg per hectare with 300 kg castor cake in soil before sowing. If not done, drench the same @ 40 g per 10 lit of water in rows 30 days after sowing.
• In standing crop, apply chlorpyriphos 20 EC @ 4 lit per hectare through irrigation, drop by drop method.
• Mix chlorpyriphos 20 EC @ 4 lit in 5 lit of water with 100 kg of sand. Dry this under shade and apply in the field. If the rainfall is not there after application, follow light irrigation.
• Application of phorate 10 G @ 10 kg or carbofuran 3 G @ 33 kg per hectare in furrow will also control the white grubs effectively.
Source: AgroStar Agronomy Center of Excellence
If you find this information useful, like it and share it with all your friends.