Animal HusbandryAnimal Science Centre, Anand Agricultural University
Livestock Care during Flood Situation
Measures for livestock protection during flood possibility:
• Do not bind cattle, keep them free.
• Take animals to a high and safe place instantly during flooding in the region.
• Make complete management of dry fodder and water at that location while moving animals.
Follow these precautions after floods have ended:
• Ensure that the animals do not drink dirty water.
• If animals demonstrate signs of pneumonia, diarrhoea, and skin diseases from flood, contact the veterinary officer from the neighbouring veterinary hospital.
• Contact Gram Panchayat for immediate registration of deceased livestock. The livestock body's post-mortem should also be performed by the local veterinary officer so that there is no difficulty in acquiring government assistance.
• Only after receiving directions from the local authority on flood ending, move the cattle to their old place.
• If the dry fodder is not too moist due to rain, feed some of these fodder to the cattle after drying. If it's too moist, remove it.
Source: Animal Science Centre, Anand Agricultural University
If you find this information useful, click on the yellow thumbs up sign under the photo and also share this with your farmer friends using the options given below.