Guru GyaanAgroStar Agronomy Centre of Excellence
Issue of Reddening of Cotton and its Remedies
The issues of reddening of cotton leaves have started. This is due to two reasons; firstly, if there are unsatisfactory actions against jassids and secondly the disruption in physiology of the plants, environmental condition and deficiency of major/micronutrients. If the night temperature decreases below 21° C, then the process of reddening starts. To find out the reasons for the reddening, clip on red leaf on your palm and cover the fist and then release the fist. If leaf turn in to small fragments (number of small pieces), indicate that the reddening is due to the infestation of jassids and are not controlled them timely. If on opening the fits and leaf remain flat on the palm, which indicates the reddening is due to the above listed reasons.
Initially the edges of the leaves turn yellow and then the space between the veins turn red and finally the leaves fall. By using proper insecticide for control of jassids, the first reason can be solved by the farmers. While for the second reason, some other steps are needed. Once the leaves become red, they cannot be green again.
• Timely application of proper insecticides for the control of sucking pests, especially jassids. _x000D_
• Provide adequate nitrogen to the plants by giving additional dose of nitrogen. Also spray 1 to 1.5 % urea 2 to 3 times every after 10 days. DAP @ 2% can also be sprayed instead of urea._x000D_
• Spray magnesium sulphate @ 20 to 25 g per 10 lit of water once in a week to prevent the deficiency of magnesium._x000D_
• Provide irrigation immediately in case of soil moisture deficiency. _x000D_
• Take care that water should not be stagnant at one place while giving the irrigation. Magnesium and other micronutrients become invulnerable to plants due to water accumulation. _x000D_
• Spray Ascorbic Acid 500 ppm + PMA 10 ppm, if needed._x000D_
• If this problem persists every year, next year apply magnesium sulphate @ 25 kg per hectare at the time of sowing._x000D_
• The farmers are also advice to do the soil test at any soil testing laboratories to know the deficiency of any micronutrients in the fields. _x000D_