Advisory ArticleAgroStar Agronomy Centre of Excellence
Integrated pests and diseases control in seed storage
1) Keep the seed storage areas clean.
2) Care should be taken that the rainwater does not come in storage place.
3) Keep the moisture content of seeds in the range of 10 to 12 percent.
4) Storage of bags should be keep at appropriate height from the ground, so that they shall not come in contact with the ground.
5) Use pest control traps available in the market now, to keep them in the storage.
6) If the seed is stored in the air-tight area, it increases the amount of carbon dioxide, which does not cause pests due to not getting oxygen.
7) Keeping the mixture of Neem leaves mixed in the storage sheet can lead to better pest control.
8) Rub Neem oil or Neem extract @ 2 ml. for 1 kg seed.
9) To kill the pest at bags of storage, Kanagi (a type of storage), permanent storages, and transport equipment and between wall cracks, Malathion 1 liter +100 liters of water should be sprayed in storage area. After that the seed should be stored.
10) In the monsoon, it is possible to protect seeds from insects and fungi by smoking of drugs. For this, storage facilities should be done air tight.
AgroStar Agronomy Centre of Excellence