Advisory ArticleNavbharat Times
How to do rainwater harvesting
Water is an essential component of life. If it is life then it is undoubtedly precious and such precious thing is also valued. Rainwater harvesting is necessary to ensure the availability of water at all times.
Why is it important
Due to the tremendous exploitation of groundwater, the water level is constantly going down causing a shortage of drinking water.
• Rainwater gets washed away like this while it can be saved and used throughout the year.
• This will increase the number of trees and plants.
• The problem of water in big cities can be reduced to a great extent.
• This will reduce the use of supply water or underground water and save it.
How to do farming
First of all, it needs to be understood correctly. Rainwater harvesting should be at places from where we can gather the maximum amount of rainwater. The roof is the most suitable place for this. Water harvesting is easier for societies and homeowners on their own land and is also being made mandatory.
How is harvesting done
In this, rainwater is stored directly for use. For this, rainwater is stored in pipes through storage. Rainy filter is used in this and because of this, this water is usually clean. This method is more effective in areas where the water under the ground is salty or the rainfall is very less. This water can be used in household cleaning and gardening.
Groundwater can be recharged by sending rainwater down to the earth where the water is sweet. We cannot spend this water at will, but in this way, the level of freshwater inside the ground increases. For this, a special type of pit has to be dug. If groundwater is salty, recharging sweet water becomes salty as well.
Keep in mind
• Such recharge pit should be at least 5 meters from the foundation or basement of the building.
• You can also use "jute mats" in multiple layers in place of the above-mentioned filter media.
• No type of waste reaches within the water recharge structure.
• Depth of recharge structure should be 1 to 4 meters.
• The roof should not be painted with any kind of chemical.
• There should not be any kind of chemical, rusted iron, manure or snake etc. on the roof.
• Rainwater harvesting is not required in any area where the level of underground water after the monsoon is 5 meters or less. If there is water at a greater depth than this, it is needed
Source: Navbharat Times, 28 July 2019
If you find this information useful, click on the yellow thumbs up sign under the photo and also share this with your farmer friends using the options given below.