Fruit ProcessingAgroStar Agronomy Centre of Excellence
Dry fig preparation process:
Figs are very useful fruit when it comes to nutritional value. During the months of February-March, the fig fruits arrives in a large quantity. Because of this, farmers are getting low prizes for the produce. To avoid losses to the farmers, Dry figs preparation can benefit the farmers. The process of drying figs is very simple and can be done with low cost. The procedure for making dry figs is as follows.
1. To prepare dry figs first select the best ripe fig fruits.
2. T.S.S content of selected fig fruits must be more than 17 percent.
3. To dry the fruit, create a wooden box and place a net at the base so that they can be removed easily and then spread the fruits on the net.
4. After spreading the fruit on net. Keep the flames of the fire burning in the grate and put the sulfur powder on it (4 gram per 1 kg) and close the box. The colour of the fruit starts to turn white by the fumes of the sulphur. Fruit may be dried if too much smoke is given, and fruits will turn black if no smoke is given. The odour stops the growth of the fungus in the fruit.
5. Let the fruits dry in a clean place.
6. The figs are usually dried for about 5-6 days.
7. Close the dried figs in an airtight bag and keep in a cool and dry place.
Source: AgroStar Agronomy Centre of Excellence
If you find this information useful, click on the yellow thumb and share it with all your farmer friends through the options below!