Guru GyaanAgroStar Agronomy Centre of Excellence
Control of Pink Bollworm at Later Stage of Cotton Crop
Since the last few years, the infestation of pink bollworms has caused serious damage to cotton at a later stage. The eggs laid by these insects on buds, flowers, and developing buds are usually not apparent to the naked eye. Emerging larva enter flowers, buds, and bolls and feed within. Infested flowers transform into rosettes just like rose flowers. Infested flowers, buds and small bolls drop down. Larva enters the boll and destroys the fibers and seeds as well.
• Install 5 traps/ha for monitoring. If 8 or more moths per trap are trapped continually for 3 days, install 15-20 traps/ha. _x000D_
• Select 20 plants randomly and count bud-flower-bolls and if 5 larvae out of 100 bud-flower-bolls are seen, spray any of the following insecticides._x000D_
• Those who cultivate cotton as a seed production are advised to destroy the flowering petals appropriately after crossing. _x000D_
• Collect and destroy rosette flower buds prior to insecticide use._x000D_
• Repeated spraying of Monocrotophos and Acephate like insecticides, the magnitude of plant life and the incidence of pink bollworm, are essential to prevent insecticides of this type. _x000D_
• Do not stock the harvested cotton produce, and sell it in the market._x000D_
• After the last picking, uproot the stubbles and destroy them or use them to prepare organic fertilisers. _x000D_
• If the infestation continues to remain higher, hold back the irrigation and terminate the crop._x000D_
• Spray Chlorantraniliprole 9.3% + Lambda Cyhalothrin 46% ZC @ 5 ml or Cypermethrin @ 10 EC @ 10 ml or Deltamethrin 2.8 EC @ 10 ml or Lambda Cyhalothrin 2.5 EC @ 10 ml or Indoxacarb 15.8 EC @ 5 ml or Emamactin Benzoate 5 SG @ 5 g or Spinosad 45 SC @ 3 ml or Deltamethrin 1% + Triazophos 35% EC @ 10 ml or Chlorpyriphos 50% + Cypermethrin 5 EC @ 10 ml in 10 lit of water alternatively. _x000D_
Dr. T. M. Bharpoda,
Ex. Professor of Entomology,
B. A. College of Agriculture, Anand Agricultural University, Anand- 388 110 (Gujarat India)
If you find this information useful, click on the yellow thumbs up sign under the photo and also share this with your farmer friends using the options given below.