AgroStar Krishi Gyaan
03 Jan 19, 10:00 AM
Guru GyaanAgroStar Agronomy Centre of Excellence
Integrated Pest Management (IPM) in cumin
In addition to Gujarat, large area is under cultivation of this crop in Rajasthan and also in other states. The infestation of aphid is observe on the initiation of flowering. Thrips is also become a serious pest on having favourable environment. The infestation of Helicoverpa larvae is also observed in some parts during this current season. Irrigation canal passing near the farm or high consumption water crops like tomato, brinjal, okra grown nearby, the infestation of aphids is observe more. Cumin is grown in a dry climatic area and hence the population of thrips is also noticed. In some of the area.
• Install yellow sticky traps @ 10/ ha for monitoring purpose.
• On initiation of aphids or thrips, spray neem seed kernel powder @ 500 g (5% extract) or neem oil 30 ml + 10 g washing detergent powder per 10 liter of water.
• Avoid the insecticidal sprays if the population of predators like ladybird beetle, Syrphid fly and Chrysoperla are observe more.
• If the humidity is higher in the environment, spray Verticillium lacani, a fungal based insecticide @ 40 g per 10 liter of water.
• Spray monocrotophos 36 WSL @ 10 ml or quinalphos 25 EC @ 20 ml two time at 15 days interval for the control of aphids.
• For the control of thrips, spray methyl-o-demeton 25 EC @ 10 ml or acephate 75 SP @ 10 g or triazophos 40 EC @ 20 ml per 10 liter of water for two times at 15 days interval.
Dr. T. M. Bharpoda,
Ex. Professor of Entomology,
B. A. College of Agriculture, Anand Agricultural University, Anand- 388 110 (Gujarat India)