Guru GyaanAgroStar Agronomy Centre of Excellence
Wheat seed treatment for termites
In most of the states, wheat crop is being cultivated as winter cereal crop. Wheat crop is cultivated either irrigated or non-irrigated. This year, monsoon remained good and more than sufficient rainfall was observed. Hence, farmers may continue with this crop even under non-irrigated area. There may be a damaged caused by termites just after germination of the crop. The infestation of termites is generally low in heavy and black soil. The damage is more severe in sandy loam soil due to this pest. The queen of termite lays eggs continuously for number of years and control of queen of termite is impossible as it live 7-8 feet below in the soil. Once, termites get settled in the field, the infestation is observed every year.
The workers of termites cut the plant parts nearer to soil surface and feed the root system. As a result, plants turn into yellowing and drying off. Such infested plants are easily pulled out from the soil. Infestation is observed in patches. The infestation is increasing on prolongation of irrigation. Termites can damage at early stage and also at the time of panicle emerging stage.
Take control measures at the sowing of wheat:
• Remove and destroy the earlier crop residues from the field before sowing of wheat.
• Apply only well-decomposed FYM in the field.
• In place of FYM, farmer can also apply castor, neem or karanj cake @ 1 ton per hectare.
• Termites can be manage by giving seed treatment before sowing at low cost. For the seed treatment, take Bifenthrin 10 EC 200 ml or Fipronil 5 SC 500 ml or Chlorpyriphos 20 EC 400 ml and mix in 5 liters of water for 100 kg seed. Spread the seed on pakka floor or plastic sheet and spray this diluted solution on wheat. Wear the rubber gloves on hands and mix thoroughly. The treated seed should be kept overnight for drying and use them next day morning for sowing.
• If seed treatment is not given and infestation of termites is seen, mix the Fipronil 5 SC 1.5 liter or Chlorpyriphos 20 EC 1.5 liter with the 100 kg of sand. Spread them in standing crop and give light irrigation.
• Maintain moisture in the crop by giving irrigation regularly.
If you find this information useful, click on the yellow thumbs up sign under the photo and also share this with your farmer friends using the options given below.