Guru GyaanAgroStar Agronomy Centre of Excellence
Use Biopesticides to Prevent Pests and Diseases
Generally farmers depend on the chemical pesticides to control pests and diseases. Sometimes, unnecessary and even pest population remain lower than the economic threshold level (ETL), farmers applying the insecticides on the crops. Which turns result in adverse on the natural enemies and environment is also contaminated. There should be insistence on the use of biopesticides at the initiation of pests and diseases.
Let us study get to know about the use of some of the fungus and bacteria-based biopesticides.
1. Trichoderma: This fungal-based biopesticides can be effective in controlling harmful pesticide - born fungal diseases such as root rot, stem rot, etc. of sesame, green gram, black gram, water melon, musk melon and other vegetable crops.
2. Bouveria Bassiana: This is also a fungus-based biopesticides which is used for the management of caterpillars, armyworm, semilooper, hoppers and others, damaging any crops and also against the control of sucking pests.
3. Metarhizium Anisopliae: This fungus-based biopesticides can be used against termites, thrips, white grubs, etc., infesting crops as well as soil born insect pests damaging root system of the crop plants.
4. Pseudomonas Florence: This biopesticide is effective against fungal diseases of crop plants, black fungus, red rot of sugarcane as well as against any soil-borne fungus.
5. Paecilomyces lilacinus: This bio-pesticide based entomo pathogenic nematode diseases effectively controls nematode infested crops such as cyst nematode in potato, root knot nematode in pomegranate, lesion nematodes in vegetables
6. Bacillus thuringiensis: This bacterial based bio-pesticide can be used against any caterpillars damaging the crops.
In addition to these, pesticides-based on viruses and nematode are also available. The application method and doses are different. We also have to follow the recommended dosage of bio-pesticide and method of application.
If you find this information useful, click on the yellow thumbs up sign under the photo and also share this with your farmer friends using the options given below.