Guru GyaanAgroStar Agronomy Centre of Excellence
Precautionary measures before sowing cotton for management of pink bollworm
Pink Bollworm may attack in the area where there is an infestation in last season. Hence, farmers should have taken some precautionary measures against this pest.
• If cotton sticks are still in the field or on bunds, dispose them.
• Make small pieces of cotton sticks with the help of Shredder and prepare organic manure.
• Install pheromone traps in the premises of ginning factories.
• Cover the heaps of cotton sticks stored for fuel purpose with plastic net.
• Select early maturity cotton varieties.
• Follow timely sowing; infestation is much more in early sowing.
• Sow the Bt-cotton seeds along with non-bt seed provided in the Bt packets as refugia.
• Use balance fertilizer and irrigation.
• Follow the crop rotation and appropriate intercrop in cotton.
Dr. T. M. Bharpoda,
Ex. Professor of Entomology,
B. A. College of Agriculture, Anand Agricultural University, Anand- 388 110 (Gujarat India)
If you find this information useful, click on the yellow thumbs up sign under the photo and also share this with your farmer friends using the options given below.