Guru GyaanAgroStar Agronomy Centre of Excellence
Pest Management in Okra
At present, most of the farmers have started the pickings of okra. The bumper production can be harvested by taking proper actions against the insect pests infesting okra crop. Aphids, jassids, whitefly and shoot & fruit borers are the main insect pests damaging to this crop.
Integrated Pest Management (IPM) -
• Install yellow sticky traps in the field.
• On initiation of pests, spray neem oil 50 ml or extract of garlic (500 g) or neem based formulations @ 10 to 40 ml or Verticillium lacani fungus based powder @ 40 g per 10 liter of water during evening time.
• Yellow vein mosaic viral disease is transmitted by whitefly. Uproot & destroy such infected plants periodically.
• For the control of sucking insect pests, spray imidacloprid 70 WG @ 2 g or thiamethoxam 25 WG @ 3 g or tolfenpyrad 15 EC @ 20 ml or dinotofuran 20 SG @ 4 g or flonicamid 50 WG @ 4 g or diafenthiuron 50 WP 10 g or spiromesifen 240 SC @ 8 ml or acetamiprid 20 SP @ 4 g per 10 liter of water.
• For the control of shoot & fruit borers, spray chlorantraniliprole 18.5 SC @ 3 ml or lambda cyhelothrin 4.9 CS @ 5 ml or pyridyal 10 EC @ 10 ml or pyriproxifen 5% + fenpropathrin 15% EC @ 10 ml per 10 liter of water.
• Cut & remove the infested shoots periodically.
• Do regular and timely picking of the okra. Destroy the infested okra fruits along with larvae.
• Conserve predators like ladybird beetles, spiders and Chrysoperla.
Dr. T. M. Bharpoda,
Ex. Professor of Entomology,
B. A. College of Agriculture, Anand Agricultural University, Anand- 388 110 (Gujarat India)