AgroStar Krishi Gyaan
02 May 19, 10:00 AM
Guru GyaanAgroStar Agronomy Centre of Excellence
(Part 2) Tri-colour problem in Tomato
4. Infestation of sucking pest and management– Various pests/diseases infest during the different growth phases of tomato crop and in different climates. It is essential to take preventive measures. Most detrimental among them is controlling white fly and thrips. To manage them and to prevent their infestation insecticides such as Thiamethoxam, Imidacloprid, Fipronil, Deltamethrin, Diafenthiuron, Spinosad, etc. should be used.
5. Taking measures for viral diseases–Tomato crop is affected by viral disease such as tomato spotted wilt virus. As a result, the quality is degraded, so this pest should be controlled. For this integrated method of pest management (yellow-blue sticky traps) should be implemented. Appropriate insecticide should be used to study pests.
6. Regular water management– If any crop watered regularly, timely, and in appropriate quantities, it will have a good effect to the increase yield and quality. Therefore, watering time, days, time intervals between two water cycles should be decided based on crop stage, soil type, and climate. Keep consistency as far as possible in this.
7. Protecting crop from temperature – Tomato cultivation is mostly done during the summer season. Coloring agent lycopene in tomato fruit dies when the temperature goes beyond 35 degrees Celsius. It therefore does not give the fruit a uniform red color. Hence, use organic or white mulching as far as possible, especially for summer cultivation. This will help to reduce temperature, resulting in good yield.
8. Measures to be taken if tri-coloured fruits are observed– If preventive measures are not taken beforehand, the number of tri-colored fruits increases at harvest time. To activate the white roots, give humic every week through drip as an emergency measure. After that, give 5 kg of Potassium Schoenite every 8 days, 5 kg of Calcium Nitrate, 5 kg of Magnesium Sulphate, 500 gm of Boron per acre at different times. Together with them, spray Silicon 200 ml and Ketoguard 250 ml together every 15 days to reduce temperature and environmental stress. In addition to this, it will be beneficial to extract seaweed through drip irrigation.
To get complete control of the tri-color problem in tomatoes, use various measures mentioned above through different crop stages, i.e. from soil preparation to harvesting.
Reference- Tejas Kolhe, Senior Agronomist
If you find this information useful, click on the yellow thumbs up sign under the photo and also share this with your farmer friends using the options given below.