Advisory ArticleAgroStar Agronomy Centre of Excellence
Methods to increase the efficiency of chemical fertilizers
● Fertilizers should never be thrown on the soil. They should be applied only when the soil has appropriate moisture.
● Fertilizers should be applied under the seeds at the time of sowing.
● Coated fertilizers/brickets/super granules should be used. These should be used with urea and neem cakes in the proportion of 1:5.
● Fertilizers should be given in phases during the sensitive stages of crop growth.
● Liquid fertilizers should be given through micro irrigation.
● For cereal crops, fertilizers should be given in the proportion of 4:2:2:1(Nitrogen: Phosphorus: Potash: Sulphur) and for pulses they should be applied in the proportion of 1:2:1:1.
● The pH of soil should be maintained between 6.5 to 7.5 by regular use of organic fertilizers.
● For protection of soil, maintain the soil health by taking up soil conservation, organic farming, and integrated chemical and organic farming. This is the need of hour.
Reference – AgroStar Agronomy Center of Excellence.