AgroStar Krishi Gyaan
06 Jan 20, 10:00 AM
Advisory ArticleAgroStar Agronomy Centre of Excellence
Integrated Pest and Disease Management in Potatoes
Major Pests in Potato
• Aphids: Both adult and nymph suck the juice from the leaves due to which the leaves turn yellow.
• Management: Thiamethoxam is sprayed by dissolving 25% WG @ 40gm acre in 200 litres of water.
• White Grub: The trunk of this insect cuts off potato plants and branches and growing tubers; in later stage its trunk pierces the tubers, which reduces the market price of tubers. This insect damages the crop at night.
• Management: Drenching in soil after dissolving Chloropyriphos 20% EC @ 2 ml/litre in water.
Major Diseases in Potato
• Early Blight: In this disease, small brown scattered spots are formed on the lower leaves. Those getting favourable weather start spreading on the leaves, due to which the leaves are destroyed.
• Management: Spraying of Mancozeb 75% WP @ 500 gram per acre with 200 liters of water or Chlorothalonil 25% WP @ 400 gram per acre or Propineb 70% WP @ 600 grams per acre in 200 litres of water.
• Late Blight: The symptoms of this disease first appear in the form of light green spots on the lower leaves, which soon turn brown. These spots are formed irregularly. Those getting favourable weather spread very fast and destroy the leaves. The distinguishing identity of the disease is the browning of the edges and the top part of the leaves.
• Management: Spraying of Mancozeb 75% WP @ 500 grams per acre in 200 liters of water or Chlorothalonil 25% WP @ 400 grams per acre in 200 liters of water.
Source: AgroStar Agronomy Centre of Excellence
If you find this information useful, click on the yellow thumb impression below the photo and share it with all your farmer friends through the options below.