Advisory ArticleAgroStar Agronomy Centre of Excellence
Increase the sunflower production by way of an improved technology.
1) Sunflower production is most productive in a field which has medium to heavy soil, processing good water drainage and a soil pH of 6.5 to 8. It is difficult to grow sunflower in a field which has soil made of clay.
2) As the roots of sunflower go deeper than 60 cm in search of nutrients, it is important to till the land before sowing in two intervals and dry irrigate the soil in preparation for sowing. Maintain the moisture and the organic content of the soil, and before the final stage of sowing, add eight to ten tons of a well-mixed fym
3) Before sowing, apply 3 grams of Carbendazim to every kilogram of the seed. To increase the nitrogen and phosphorus contents in the seeds. Seeds should be processed with Azotobacter and P.S.B in the ratio of 250 grams per 10 kilograms of seeds, at the time of sowing.
4) If the hybrid sunflower varieties are seen to respond better to chemical fertilizers as compared to the modified varieties, then a mixture of 50 kilograms urea and 40 kg of 10:26:26 per acre is spread in the land at the time of sowing.
5) A second spread of urea should be followed 30 to 35 days after the initial sowing.
6) Based on soil testing reports, if deemed necessary, provide the soil with 3-4 kilograms of Zinc Sulphate and 10 to 12 kilograms of Magnesium Sulfate at the time of sowing. Subsequently adding, 10 kilograms of Sulfur per acre increases the percentage of oil in the sunflower by 1.5 to 2.5 percent.
7) A noticeable increase in production is observed, if the crop is sprayed with the mixture of 5 gram / litre in the ratio of 19: 19: 19 on the 20th, 40th and 50th days.
8) Adhere to the limit rules in the sowing of seedlings in the sunflower crop. Since the farmers usually plant the seedlings in a specific formation, there is a likelihood of an erratic plantation of seedlings which could result in the decrease of the end product. To prevent this, the crop should be sprayed after 15 days since germination. The distance of least 30 cm should be kept between two seedlings. Weeding 30-35 days post sowing.
9) Providing abundant water to the buds, flowering saps and pollens, increases the production in the sunflower.
AgroStar Agronomy Center Excellence, 4th Oct 2018