Guru GyaanAgroStar Agronomy Centre of Excellence
Cracking of Lemon & Pomegranate: Reasons and Remedies
Sometimes, fruits develop cracks before harvest or during maturity. This is considered to be a physiological disorder in the trees. Fungus and bacteria may enter the fruits and decay occurs, such as lemon cracking, star-shaped cracking of pomegranate fruits, and sometimes deep cracking of the pulp is also observed in both fruits.
Reasons for cracking of fruits:
• Sudden changes in the environment
• Deficiency of boron, calcium or nitrogen
• Unseasonal rainfall during hot weather
• Virus and fungal attack
• Decrease in the amount of gibberellic acid
• Direct sunlight on fruits
• Sudden increase in environmental temperature
• Adopt an effective irrigation system.
• Stagnant water should not persist for a longer period after irrigation or monsoon rain.
• To prevent nutrient deficiency, spray Borax 0.02%, Copper Sulphate 0.3 %, and Potassium Sulfate 2% in lemon. In addition, spray NA @ 20 ppm and Gibberellic Acid @ 10 ppm. Spray Borax @ 1% in June in pomegranate and also spray Gibberellic Acid @ 120 ppm.
• Follow scientific cultivation practices.
Dr. T. M. Bharpoda,
Ex. Professor of Entomology,
B. A. College of Agriculture, Anand Agricultural University, Anand- 388 110 (Gujarat India)