Cattle Management in Excruciating Heat
Temperature heat causes a lot of strain on animals or cattle (such as cows, buffaloes, and others), which leads to reduced production. During such weather, the animals must be handled with maximum care.
• Feed animals in the morning and in the evening. Fodder should include nutritious foods such as green fodder, maize, lucerne grass, jowar in order to maintain good health.
• Use the mineral mixture in their regular diet, which will help improve fertility and production of milk.
Clean Drinking Water
• Provide plenty of clean drinking water to help control the body temperature.
• Water utensils should be large with easy accessibility to the animals. If the cattle roam freely in the open area, keep the water utensils in the shade.
Young, old and sick animals need adequate shelter.
• Let animals graze in the morning and in the evening; avoid grazing in the afternoon. Keep the animals in the shade during the hot weather.
• Cover the roof with grass and sprinkle water to reduce heat; place fans and foggers, if necessary.
• If the cattle - shed is surrounded by trees, it will help to maintain the temperature in and around the area.
Source - Agrowon (Dr. Minal Parhad)
If you find this information useful, click on the yellow thumbs up sign under the photo and also share this with your farmer friends using the options given below.