Guru GyaanAgroStar Agronomy Centre of Excellence
Management of Leafhoppers in Paddy
Paddy crop is mainly infested with green leafhopper, brown plant hopper, and white-backed plant hopper. Both nymphs and adults suck the sap from the crops and appear to have burned the plant (Hopper burn).
Integrated Pest Management (IPM):
• Early transplantation can reduce damage.
• Apply recommended dosage of nitrogenous fertilizer in three splits
• Water should be drained instantly after pest initiation.
• Apply Carbofuran 3G @25 kg or Fipronil 0.3 GR @20-25 kg or Chlorantraniliprole 0.5% + Thiamethoxam 1% GR @6 kg per hectare in soil
• If application of granular insecticide is not possible, spray Acetamprid 20 SP @4 g or Clothianidin 50 WG @5 g or Buprofezin 25 SC @20 ml or Dinotofuran 20 SG @4 g or Buprofezin 15% + Acephate 35% WP @25 g or Deltamethrin 0.72% + Buprofezin 5.65% EC @20 ml or Fenobucarb 20% + Buprofezin 5% EC @20 ml or Flubendiamide 4% + Buprofezin 20% EC @ 10 ml per 10 lit of water. Keep the nozzle towards the stem while spraying insecticides. These spray will also control the leaf folder and stem borer in paddy
• Apply insecticides to the infested area only at the beginning of the incidence.
Dr. T. M. Bharpoda,
Ex. Professor of Entomology,
B. A. College of Agriculture, Anand Agricultural University, Anand- 388 110 (Gujarat India)
If you find this information useful, click on the yellow thumbs up sign under the photo and also share this with your farmer friends using the options given below.