AgroStar Krishi Gyaan
22 Apr 19, 10:00 AM
Advisory ArticleAgroStar Agronomy Centre of Excellence
Test the Seeds’ Germination with a Piece of Paper
Seed germination must be performed atleast one week before sowing. This will help to decide whether a seed change is required or increase its quantity at the right time. If the seeds germinate up to 80% to 90%, then they are good. If the seed germination is up to 60% to 70%, then increase the amount of seed at the time of sowing and germination is less than 50%, and then change the seeds so that you do not face loss in the harvest.
Below we will refer to the easy and native ways to treat seeds:
Newspaper Seed germination test procedure:
• This is an effective and simple method. In this, you take a newspaper in four layers, then fold it in 3 or 4 folds then without sorting, line up the seeds by placing them on the paper, then loosely close the two corners of the newspaper with thread. Then soak the newspaper in the water again.
• Drain out the extra water.
• After removing excess water put the newspaper in a polythene bag and hang it internally in the house.
• After 4-5 days open the newspaper, count the number of seedlings, and find out the percentage of seed germination.
• This method cannot be used for paddy.
Source: Apni Kheti
If you find this information useful, click on the yellow thumbs up sign under the photo and also share this with your farmer friends using the options given below.