AgroStar Krishi Gyaan
25 Apr 19, 10:00 AM
Guru GyaanAgroStar Agronomy Centre of Excellence
(Part 1) Tri-colour problem in Tomato
Tomato measures for tri-colored fruits need to be planned in two phases. In the first phase, we need to take precautionary measures to prevent after-problems and in the second phase, if these problems are observed, we need to take some immediate action to reduce the intensity of the problem.
Symptoms of the diseases: Most of the fruit remains yellow and does not fully mature.
Misconception: The problem of tri-colored fruit is due to the variety and viral diseases are responsible for it.
Causes: Although it is somewhat difficult to identify the exact cause of this problem, it occurs due to a few reasons mentioned below.
1. Selection of low quality/ less fertile land used for tomato cultivation
2. Imbalanced use of nutrients
3. Infestation of sucking pest
4. Infestation of viral disease
5. Irregular and more/less water management
6. Improper care in extreme temperatures
Preventive measures to avoid issues in the first phase:
1. Selection of land– The land should be fertile to cultivate tomato crops, rich with nutrients, and water should be drained from it. The method of cultivation is also important along with this. Make wide elevated beds so that the soil near the roots is airy. For cultivation, use drip irrigation. If the bed has a height of 0.5 feet and a width of 3 feet, the white roots are activated and the supply of nutrients is managed well.
2. Use of balanced nutrients– If possible, get the soil tested before growing tomato to know the nutrients present in the soil. Along with it, at the time of making beds, give a basal dose of fertilizers (include organic manure, neem cake, nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, calcium, magnesium, sulfur in the basal dose.) Continue to give soluble fertilizers through regular drip irrigation after tomato cultivation is done.
3. Selection of appropriate varieties as per the season – While selecting hybrid varieties for good tomato yield, consider the following activities. The summer varieties will never yield well when the day is shorter and the night is longer. Therefore, for summer cultivation varieties like Seminis- Ansal, Ayushman, Syngenta-6242, 1057, Bayer- 1143, Bioseed Veer, J K-811 should be considered. Also for kharif or late kharif season, consider varieties such as, Syngenta-2048, Seminis- Garva, Namdhari 629.
Reference- Tejas Kolhe, Senior Agronomist
If you find this information useful, click on the yellow thumbs up sign under the photo and also share this with your farmer friends using the options given below.