AgroStar Krishi Gyaan
19 Apr 19, 11:00 AM
How to prepare silage?
1) Make fodder pieces of 1 to 2 inches by using a chaff cutter.
2) Spread a plastic sheet properly on all sides of the pit created for silage.
3) Dissolve 1 kg salt, 2 kg jaggery and 1 kg mineral mix in 15 liters of water and sprinkle it on a ton of chaffed fodder. Press the fodder layers.
4) Spread multiple layers of chaff and mix with on one another evenly. Press the chaff so that air will not be trapped in between. If the air gets trapped, fungus grows on the fodder and low quality silage is created.
5) After the pit is filled properly, cover it with a plastic sheet and spread a layer of dried sugarcane leaves or hay. Spread a layer of soil on top of this cover.
6) If the air tight silage is kept for 40 to 50 days, the fermentation process in the fodder is completed and good quality silage is created.
The amount of silage to be fed to the cows depends on their milk production capacity.
BAIF- Uruli Kanchan
If you find this information useful, click on the yellow thumbs up sign under the photo and also share this with your farmer friends using the options given below.