Advisory ArticleAgroStar Agronomy Centre of Excellence
Important Checks to be Carried Out while Using Herbicides
Farmers are currently experiencing a lack of labour in the villages to carry out weeding in their fields. If weeding is not carried out on time, farmers can experience financial losses. In order to prevent this, many farmers control weeds by spraying weedicides instead of hand weeding. However, the following precautions should be taken while spraying weedicides.
• Check the dates of manufacture and expiry of the weedicides when purchasing Krishi Seva Kendra.
• Recommended weedicides should be used at doses for different crops.
• The moisture content of the soil should be retained prior to weedicide spraying.
• Compost, vermicompost and fertilisers should be used every year in the areas where weedicides are sprayed.
• Spraying of weedicides should not be performed in windy days. Also, 2-3 hours of sunlight is needed after spraying.
• While spraying weedicides in a standing crop, care must be taken to ensure that the chemical does not drift into the canopy of the crop.
• Separate knapsack pumps should be used to spray weedicides.
Source: AgroStar Agronomy Centre of Excellence
If you find this information useful, click on the yellow thumbs up sign under the photo and also share this with your farmer friends using the options given below.